Choosing a Commercial Storage Unit
Sign with the wrong commercial storage company and you can find yourself in a year-long contract with a company that doesn’t meet your storage needs. The next time you need to lease storage space for your business, do the following before you sign any contracts:
Make a Plan
Making some time to understand your business’ storage needs before you store can make a huge difference in how successful your experience is. Be sure to:
- Make a list of everything you’ll need to store. (This can help prevent you from over- or underestimating your space requirements.)
- Estimate how many boxes you’ll need before you choose a storage unit of a specific size.
- Label your boxes, especially if you plan on storing paperwork that has not been scanned or digitally recorded.
- Plan for extra room for walking within the unit (to allow you or staff to access items in storage).
Assess Your Needs
As you think about your storage requirements, be sure to consider the following:
- Will your workers need to visit the storage unit regularly? If so, it’s probably better to choose a storage facility that is relatively close to your place of business.
- When will your workers need access your stored items? Is 24-hour access necessary, or are business hours acceptable?
- What environmental protection, if any, will your stored items need? For instance, are you storing office equipment or electronics that will need temperature-controlled storage units?
Tour the Facility
Taking the time to take an in-person tour of a commercial storage facility is one way that you can accurately evaluate critical factors before you’re locked into a contract. Things you’ll want to evaluate include:
- Are staff available when you need them? Is there a manager on site if you need one?
- What security measures are in place? Is there external security (like a fence and a gate) and indoor security (like cameras and locks for all units)?
- What condition are units in? Are they all free of damage and adequately secured?
Is there evidence of infestation, such as rodent droppings or chew damage?
Commercial Storage Unit
Scenic Self Storage in Pewaukee offers a variety of standard and heated commercial storage unit(s) in Pewaukee, WI. For more information, call us today.